Indian J Sex Transm Dis Indian J Sex Transm Dis
Official Publication of the Indian Association for the Study of Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Indian J Sex Transm Dis
The Journal | Search | Ahead Of Print | Current Issue | Archives | Instructions | Subscribe | Login    Users online: 4985   Home Email this page Print this page Bookmark this page Decrease font size Default font size Increase font size
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2021  |  Volume : 42  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 118-124

Spectrum of malignancies among human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients at a tertiary level human immunodeficiency virus-anti-retroviral therapy center in a North Indian hospital


Department of General Medicine, Army College of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Niket Verma
Department of General Medicine, Army College of Medical Sciences, Delhi Cantt, New Delhi - 110 010
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/ijstd.IJSTD_28_19

Rights and Permissions

Introduction: Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected individuals have a higher risk of some types of cancer. A chronic immunodeficiency state, increased survival in the highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) era and predisposition to certain oncogenic viral infections have been postulated as the main reasons. While, the incidence of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) defining cancers (ADCs) is declining in the post-HAART era, non-AIDS-defining cancers (NADCs) are becoming an important cause of mortality in these patients. Materials and Methods: Analysis of the data of HIV-infected patients registered at an apex centre was done for 7 years. All patients were subjected to routine investigations on presentation (baseline) and during follow-up for the occurrence of any malignant disease. CD4 cell counts before starting anti-retroviral therapy and before the diagnosis of malignancy were noted. The date of the last review and the current status/outcome were recorded. Results: Out of 1258, 17 patients were diagnosed with various malignancies. Seven patients (41.2%) had ADCs and the remaining 10 (58.8%) had NADCs. The mean duration between diagnosis of HIV infection and diagnosis of malignancy was 59.53 months. The mean survival duration from the diagnosis of malignancy for all cases was 21 months. The mean survival duration was 29 months and 15 months for ADC and NADC group respectively. Conclusions: NADCs are on the rise in the era of effective use of HAART and increasing life span of HIV patients. The index of suspicion for cancer should be higher in such patients, especially compared to opportunistic infections in view of good immunovirologic status.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed340    
    Printed9    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded14    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal